2022-2023 AmeriCorps; Susquehanna Greenway & Trails Assistant
The Susquehanna Greenway Partnership (SGP) seeks an energetic and strategic team player to assist with the continued development of our Trails Program.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this AmeriCorps member will have a unique chance to create the organizational systems and processes necessary for expanding the Susquehanna Greenway, increasing volunteer stewardship, and improving the user experience on the Susquehanna Greenway. The member will be working within both the land and River Trails component of the program. This is a great opportunity to support the inner workings of a dynamic nonprofit and expand multiple professional competencies while under the support and guidance of the STEP AmeriCorps program.
Dates of Service:
August 22, 2022 – August 5, 2023. This is a one-year contract, full-time position.
Typical work week Monday – Friday: 8:30 – 4:00. Some weekend events may be required.
As an AmeriCorps member you will gain:
- Bi-weekly living stipend.
- Segal Educational Award (upon completion of 1,700 hours of service) to help pay for college, graduate school, or to repay student loans.
- Forbearance on qualifying student loans while serving and interest accrual payment upon program completion.
- AmeriCorps health insurance (for qualified members).
- Resume boosting, real-life experience in a dynamic nonprofit.
- Conference attendance and networking opportunities with industry professionals.
- Professional development and in-service training.
- National service organization membership and alumni services.
AmeriCorps is a real-life education and work experience wrapped into one. As a member, you will learn teamwork, leadership, responsibility and other essential skills that will help you for the rest of your life. And you will gain the personal satisfaction of taking on challenges and seeing results within the communities that you service. Members are placed with the host organization for their term and receive support and guidance from the AmeriCorps program.
Essential Functions and Duties
The Trails Assistant will help drive SGP’s Trails program, outreach to community partners, and engage
volunteers. Key responsibilities include:
- Water Trail: SGP is the official Water Trail manager of the West Branch and Lower North Branch of the Susquehanna River Water Trail. Member will assist with projects and events focused on the stewardship and management of the Water Trails.
- Land Trails: Member will collaborate with SGP staff and Board of Directors to refine and implement the Susquehanna Greenway Trail Designation program. Duties include creating and modifying the organizational systems and processes necessary to designate trails within the Susquehanna Greenway corridor.
- Outreach: Work with Executive Director to implement outreach strategies that engage community groups and individuals of the Susquehanna Greenway. Represent the Susquehanna Greenway Partnership at select community and partnership events.
- Volunteer: Assist the Executive Director in the coordination of volunteer events focused on improving the health and user experience of the Susquehanna Greenway. Events include volunteer clean ups, signage and access inventories, and special events volunteers.
- Event Management: Assist with planning and organizing SGP’s yearly outreach events including the Susquehanna Sojourn, Photo Contest, and traveling photo gallery.
- Administrative: Maintain a filing system for trail materials, update and enhance membership database, research and organize publications, and assist with other administrative duties as assigned.
- STEP AmeriCorps: Participate in Corps Team meetings/trainings, complete all requirements of STEP AmeriCorps service including monthly reports, weekly time logs, and journals; and participate in various AmeriCorps events, activities, and service projects.
Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in conservation, land and water management, recreation management, outdoor education, environmental education, or related major; or 1-2 years’ related work experience or equivalent combination preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal communications) are required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, take initiative, deliver high quality work, and work independently.
- Superlative interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people.
- At least 18 years of age, be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- Experience within outdoor pursuits a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
- A level of volunteer management experience preferred.
Access to Vulnerable Populations
Position will not have access to vulnerable populations.
Deadline to Apply
All applications should be submitted by 5:00 PM on September 30, 2022.
About the Susquehanna Greenway
The Susquehanna Greenway Partnership is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit. The Susquehanna Greenway Partnership is dedicated to advancing the Susquehanna Greenway, which is a network of land trails, water trails, and communities that runs along the Susquehanna River within Pennsylvania. Our mission is to envision, create, and sustain a greenway along the Susquehanna River, to highlight River Towns, and to enhance the lives of current and future generations. We work towards our mission through the implementation of our three program areas: Trails (both land and water), River Towns, and Education & Outreach.
About STEP AmeriCorps
The STEP AmeriCorps program partners with numerous non-profit organizations and schools in Clinton, Lycoming, and Tioga Counties to provide service opportunities to meet the region’s community needs.