- This event has passed.
Looking for an opportunity to develop your paddling skills and become a more informed and confident paddler? Want to learn more about the environment and plants and animals you’ll encounter on your next Susquehanna paddle? Join us for the Paddler’s Toolkit workshop hosted by the Susquehanna Greenway Partnership (SGP) and Pennsylvania Master Naturalist (PMN).
The Paddler’s Toolkit will provide novice and veteran paddlers with new information and resources to enhance their next paddling adventure. Participants will complete a two-part educational workshop that will cover the ins and outs of preparing for and undertaking a paddling trip on the Susquehanna River. In the afternoon, participants will join SGP and PMN for an on-water experience to put your newly learned skills into practice. It is sure to be an informative and great day out on the Susquehanna Greenway.
- The price of registration includes lunch, a shuttle, and access to the full-day workshop plus informational material.
- $15 (bring your own boat)
- $30 (includes kayak, PFD, & paddle rental)
- May 20, 2023; 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Dietrich Theater; 60 E Tioga St, Tunkhannock, PA 18657
Part 1 – Paddling the Susquehanna Presentation
- Topics such as gear selection, navigation, trip planning and packing, permits, on-water safety, minimal impact practices, and more will be covered in a 1.5-hour virtual presentation from the Susquehanna Greenway Partnership.
Part 2 – Everyday Naturalist Presentation
- Pennsylvania Master Naturalist will present on flora and fauna identification, geology, history, and stewardship practices to help enhance your paddling experience and turn you into an everyday naturalist.
Break – Lunch (included)
Part 3 – On-Water Component
- Participants will join SGP and PMN staff for a half-day paddle on the Susquehanna River to gain hands-on experience with topics covered during the morning session.
Funded in part by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers.
What is included in the registration cost?
The price of registration includes the two presentations, lunch, and a half-day paddle, as well as access to workshop materials.
Can I sign up if I'm already an experienced paddler?
Absolutely! We welcome paddlers of all experience levels. This program offers a range of topics that even the most experienced paddlers will find useful in enhancing their everyday experiences on the water trail.
Will the presentations be recorded?
No, since the presentations will be taking place in person, they will not be recorded.
Can I bring my kids?
This event is open to all those 12 and older, as children under that age may not pilot their own watercraft.
Do I need to register my boat?
Pennsylvania Boat Launch permits are encouraged, but not required for this event.
Do I need to bring my own boat?
You are welcome to bring your own boat if you have one. If you do not, you may reserve a rental on the registration page.
What should I bring with me?
- If it is cold and rainy, NO COTTON. If an article of clothing says it is fleece (like a sweatshirt) make sure the fleece is polyester.
- Please wear appropriate closed-toe shoes, as we will be getting in and out of our boats on several occasions and the landscape may be muddy/rocky.
- *Water will be provided*
Will lunch be provided?
Yes, please mark any dietary restrictions when you register.
Is there a rain date for the paddle?
There is not currently a rain date for this event, but you will be welcome to join us for a future paddling event this season.