- This event has passed.
We are planning to hit the river again this Fall! Mark your calendars for October 8th for the next Susquehanna Pop-Up Paddle, a 6-mile excursion from Milton to Chillisquaque. It’s a great opportunity to enjoy a leisurely exploration of the Greenway and the West Branch Susquehanna River Water Trail. How could you not be relaxed when your final destination has “chill” right in the name?
When: October 8, 2022 | 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM
Where (start): Milton State Park
Where (end): PFBC Chillisquaque Boat Launch
Paddling Distance: 6 miles (easy)
Rentals: Limited kayaks and canoes are available. Mark your registration to reserve. ($35/single | $45/tandem)
- 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM: Check-in opens at Milton State Park. This will be a time for participants to check-in and receive their appropriate materials. Light morning refreshments, restrooms, and informational tables will be accessible to participants.
- Note on Shuttle: If you are bringing your own boat(s), please drop them off at the put-in at the Milton State Park boat launch when you check in. Please also drop off any passengers in your car with your boats at Milton. Drivers should then proceed down to the PFBC Chillisquaque Access. If you are renting boats, drivers should drop off passengers at Milton State Park, check-in, and only the drivers should proceed to Chillisquaque. We will then shuttle only the drivers back up to the put-in, due to available space on the bus.
- 9:00 AM – 9:15 AM: Self Shuttle (Drivers only head down to Chillisquaque, all others are asked to be dropped off at the launch site).
- 9:15 AM – 9:45 AM: Participant shuttle (drivers only) back to Milton State Park.
- 9:45 AM – 10:00 AM: Opening remarks.
- 10:00 AM – 10:15 AM: Launch from Milton State Park.
- 10:15 AM – 1:00 PM: Paddle from Milton State Park to PFBC Chillisquaque Boat Launch, enjoying the wildlife and ecology of the West Branch along the way.
- 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM: With help from our volunteers, participants will get off the water and transition back to their vehicles.
- 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM: Lunch; boxed lunch provided.
~~~After the sojourn, perhaps you would like to head back to the Susquehanna Greenway River Town of Lewisburg to recap the day with new and old friends over a well-earned libation or dinner at one of numerous restaurants and establishments. This weekend is also fun-filled with festivities associated with UnPAved, a premier gravel race in the area. After your paddle, you can head into town and catch a few hours of the Lewisburg Fall Festival — with food & drink, live music, a bike rodeo & more kids’ activities including a Wooly Worm petting zoo, the Wooly Worm Winter Prognostication (like the groundhog, but fuzzier), sponsors, bike vendors, crafters and more! If you’re a cyclist, consider signing up for one of the races on Sunday!
How do I rent a kayak?
- To reserve your kayak or canoe, simply mark your registration. Rentals are $35 per single vessel, $45 per tandem. The outfitter will have the rentals and safety equipment available at the launch.
What about check-in?
- Check-in will be located at the Milton State Park boat launch.
- Please bring your signed participant forms (these will be emailed the week before the event).
Will there be a shuttle?
- If you are bringing your own boat(s), please drop them off at the put-in at the Milton State Park boat launch when you check in. Please also drop off any passengers in your car with your boats at Milton. Drivers should then proceed down to the PFBC Chillisquaque boat launch. If you are renting boats, drivers should drop off passengers at Milton State Park, check-in, and only the drivers should proceed to Chillisquaque. We will then shuttle only the drivers back up to the put-in due to available space on the bus.
- We shuttle this way (with your cars at the end of the paddle) so that your car will be right at the take-out at the end of the day. There will not be a shuttle back to the put-in at the conclusion of the event.
What's the address/route?
- Our starting location (registration/check-in) and put-in location is at Milton State Park.
- The take-out for the kayaks is located at the PFBC Chillisquaque Boat Launch.
- Most of the route includes scenic flat water, with some iconic bridges and an opportunity to see wildlife and ecology of this section. After about 6 miles we will be taking out onshore in Chillisquaque, where boxed lunches will be provided.
What about lodging?
- There are several hotels in the Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Sunbury, and Shamokin Dam areas; these range in distance but are within 10-20 minutes away. Please reach out to the Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau for recommendations. They can be reached by emailing [email protected], or calling 800-525-7320 or 570-524-7234.
Can I bring my kids?
- This is a family-friendly event, and children are welcome to attend. However, children under the age of 13 may NOT pilot their own craft (kayak or canoe). This article from REI can help you plan for the paddle event.
- Tandem kayaks and canoes are available through registration. For smaller children, a canoe is recommended with two adults paddling and the child seated in between.
Do I need to register my boat?
- Pennsylvania boat launch permits are encouraged, but not required for this event.
Is there a rain date?
- Rain – the event will continue as scheduled for rain alone. Should alternate weather conditions present on the day of the event, SGP will work with park staff to determine an appropriate alternative or cancel the event.
- There is not an alternate rain date at this time. Should that change, SGP will notify all registrants.
What should I bring?
- If it is cold and rainy, NO COTTON.
- If an article of clothing says it is fleece (like a sweatshirt) make sure the fleece is polyester.
- You are required to bring and wear a PFD if you are providing your own boat.
- Please wear appropriate closed-toe shoes, as we will be getting in and our of our boats on several occasions and the landscape may be muddy/rocky.
- Athletic-type/quick-drying apparel is recommended, and consider bringing a backpack or hydration pack, and snacks.
- *water will be provided*
More Questions? You may also call or email Corey Ellison with any questions: 570-478-1317 or [email protected]