Settled in 1787, Hallstead was once known as Great Bend Village but changed its name in 1887 to Hallstead Borough in honor of William Hallstead, president of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. The DL&W Railroad once boasted a dozen or more tracks and a large roundhouse. In addition to the railroads, Hallstead was a major hub on the Great Bend and Cochecton Turnpike which allowed the community to grow and flourish. At one time, a major lead crystal manufacturer operated in the community. While a small community with a population virtually unchanged over the last century, the Borough of Hallstead has a public library (part of the Susquehanna County Historical Society & Free Library Association) which hosts a variety of community events.
Visit and Learn More: